Historical place in South Bristol, Maine
THOMPSON ICE HARVESTING MUSEUM
South Bristol, Maine
Museum Established by the gift of Herbert and Gwendolyn Thompson in 1987. The property included the pond, ice house, and certain ice harvesting tools. The present structure is a partial replica of the ice house that existed in 1985. The ice business began in 1826, When Asa Thompson dammed a brook from springs to create Thompson pond. At some unknown time, the ice house was built, enlarged several times and used by Asa’s descendants until 1985, thus providing 159 years of ice service to the community.
Through a grant from the Maine Historical Preservation Commission, drawings were executed to the Historic American Building Survery Standards. The Deteriorated Ice House structure was dismantled in 1990. Materials were salvaged to the fullest extent possible. Present building was constructed by Erik Ekholm & Robert Leone in 1990. Dam facing replaced by Raymond Poole in 1989.
Museum is maintained by the Thompson Ice House Preservation Corp. & through the supportof the community and friends and patrons of the Thompson Ice House.