James Butler ‘Wild Bill’ Hickok visited Deadwood for a matter of weeks, the famed lawman, scout, gunfighter and card sharp was destined to become the town’s most famous permanent resident.
Address: 108 Sherman St, Deadwood, SD 57732
Deadwood was established in 1876 during the Black Hills gold rush. In 1875, a miner named John B. Pearson found gold in a narrow canyon in the Northern Black Hills. This canyon became known as ” Deadwood Gulch” because of the many dead trees that lined the canyon walls at the time.
“Deadwood has been known the world round for over half a century. It is the smallest metropolitan city in the world, with paving and public and other buildings such as are seldom found in cities less than several times it’s size.”
John S. McClintock
Pioneer Days in the Black Hills, 1939
Overall Rating ☆☆☆